Brierley Hill Health and Social Care Centre
Dudley, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Brierley Hill Health and Social Care Centre is a flagship LIFT project in the West Midlands and is one of the largest in the UK.
The accommodation is spread over five floors above ground level, one semi basement and one full basement level. The facility combines a number of existing inadequate and disparate services within the community and integrates them into a new state-of-the-art iconic development. The multi-tenant building contains a range of contemporary clinical facilities including the regions leading audiology department, social services, primary care trust headquarters and retail outlets such as pharmacy and internet café.
The inclusion of a wide variety of clinical and social services transforms the centre from a simple health care building to a facility which is central to the community. The multiple services allow users to create a relationship with the building beyond healthcare. The confident and inspiring design, with its use of natural daylight and innovative architectural solutions, complementary colours and material, gives a sense of optimism and well-being to the users and helps set a precedent for the future regeneration of the region.
Community Health Centers
- Partnership of Dudley Infracare Lift Ltd
- Carillion Planned Maintenance
- NHS Dudley and Dudley Council
- 10 GPs serving 14,000 patients
- Three dental surgeries
- Leg ulcer services
- Accommodation for local council social services staff. Retail units on street front
Special Design Elements:
- Intuitive Wayfinding
- High percentage of rooms lit by natural light
- Underground parking
- Urban Regeneration Project
- Designed with respect to future buildings
- Active street frontage with retail units and a pharmacy/optician
Sustainable design features and strategies include:
- High insulation values
- Solar shading
- Green inner courtyard
- Use of sustainably sourced timber on facades.
- LIFT Awards 2010:Winner of Best Design, Highly Commended in Community Engagement category
- Winner of Best Regeneration Project Life Awards 2009
- Winner of Best Regeneration Black Country Awards 2008